June 24, 2009

Reports Shared Directory Issue

Lately I’ve been spending way too much time with Dave Musgrave’s friend – Report Writer. But, I’m learning a few things along the way. Here’s one trick I learned the other day when trying to import a package into RW.

The client has a shared Reports.dic file that each local machine points to. Even though all users were out of the system, I kept getting the 'Can't open customizations dictionary' error when trying to import the package file. I tried a number of things to resolve this issue but in the end came to the conclusion that there must be a lock in a table somewhere that indicated there were still users in the system. I also suspected this might have something to do with the shared Reports directory.

So, I changed the path in the Dynamics.set file from the shared directory to a local directory and copied the Reports.dic file into the local directory. I ran the package import and it imported with no issues. I then made the mods to the report, copied the local Reports.dic file back to the shared directory, reset the Dynamics.set file to point to the shared directory and voila! Another issue bites the dust . . .

5 comments:

David Musgrave said...

What can I say?

Yet another reason to not use shared custom dictionaries.


http://blogs.msdn.com/developingfordynamicsgp/archive/2008/08/20/automating-distribution-of-customisations-part-1.aspx


David
http://blogs.msdn.com/DevelopingForDynamicsGP/

Mohammad R. Daoud said...

Frank,

While facing this issue, I used to kill all open sessions to the shared dictionary=ies folder by following steps below:

1. Right click My Computer and click on Manage.

2. Navigate Shared Folders >> Open Files.

3. You will find sessions still open even if the users were out of the system, delete all open sessions and import the package.

This way used to work with me while importing to shared dictionaries.

Regards,

Mohammad R. Daoud

Frank Hamelly said...

Great tip Mohammad! Thank you. What if you don't have admin rights to the box? Is there another way to kill those connections?

Jeff Rowles said...

Thanks for this information Frank and others. Even though it was posted several years ago, it's still applicable today. One additional point I wanted to add if I may which may be helpful to others.

When I went through process as you outlined, I still received "Can't open customizations dictionary" when attempting to re-import package file. I realized there were some Human Resources modified reports in addition to Dynamics ones. So I had to also change the path for the HRPFRMS.DIC and HRPRPTS.DIC dictionaries also. Then was able to re-import the package file successfully.

(ps: I agree with you David about your posts outliniing reasons to shy away from shared dictionaries)

Thanks again,
Jeff Rowles

Frank Hamelly said...

Thanks for the feedback Jeff!